Admission Process03/10/2023 2024-02-27 13:01
Thanks for showing interest in the JGU Ph.D. program. We here at JGU accept JGU Ph.D. Applications form continuously over the year on a rolling basis. First in the fall semester (on 1 August) and the second in the spring semester (on 1 February). The last dates for applying to JGU Ph.D. program for both semesters are available on the JGU Ph.D. website. Through this email, I would like to inform you about the step-by-step process for Ph.D. admission at JGU for your convenience.
Step 1: Fill out the online application through the JGU website at (https://admissions.jgu.edu.in/). The online application form required to upload the following documents;
- A Statement of Purpose (SOP) explaining the reason for planning to pursue Ph.D. degree from Jindal Global University & a short note on the professional background and experience of the applicant (around 1000-1500 words).
- A scanned copy of the relevant academic transcripts (Masters, Bachelor, class 12th & class 10th )
- An updated Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- A concise & coherent copy of the research proposal (1500-2500 words) from the proposed area of research. It should include central issues or questions that the researcher intends to address. It should outline the general area of study within which the proposed research falls, referring to the current state of knowledge and any recent debates on the topic generally known as a review of the literature.
- The names of two academic/ non-academic referees from whom the University may seek information on the research potential of the applicant.
- In case of the candidate is a working professional at any organization/ University /Institute of/or government or private body, then the candidate has to submit a No Objection Certificate (NOC) from the side of the employer at the time of admission in JGU Ph.D. program (NOC Template).
- If the candidate has cleared UGC/CSIR/ JRF/NET/SLET (Haryana State)/GATE, then the candidate has to upload a copy of the scorecard on the admission portal.
Step 2: Appear in an online AI proctoring Research Entrance Examination conducted by JGU. The syllabus of the entrance test shall consist of 50% objective questions based on research methodology/ research aptitude/ logical reasoning/area or subject-related contextual updates and 50% subjective questions based on subject/ area-specific questions.
Note: Entrance Examination exemption (as per the concerned JGU school requirement) to those Applicants who have qualified UGC/CSIR/ JRF/NET/SLET (Haryana State) or any other similar examination.
Step 3: After scoring a valid cut off score (decided by school Doctoral Committee) in the research entrance exam, the candidate has to appear for an Interview with the School Doctoral Committee (SDC). Candidate has to present his/her tentative research idea referring to the current state of knowledge & recent development from the proposed area of research.
Duration of the Programme
be less than 3 years from the date of enrolment (36 months) & 6 years (72 months) respectively from the date of provisional registration of the candidate. However, in case the performance of the research scholar has been exceptionally good and proven through substantial publications, the period can be reduced by six months.
JGU has limited seats (maximum up to 2 scholars each school / institute per year) to admit scholars on a full-time basis under the JGU fellowship scheme. Please find below the details of the JGU fellowship scheme applicable w. e. f. 01/02/2020 to the JGU Ph.D. scholar:
- JGU Research Fellowship (during coursework and up to Synopsis completion) – Rs. 35,000/- per month.
- After Synopsis completion, Fellowship amount could be increased up to Rs. 40,000/- per month for Ph.D. scholars engaged in teaching assignments. Any increase shall be subject to approval of School Doctoral Committee / University Doctoral Committee.
- Each full time Ph.D. student, post successful completion of course work and synopsis should be engaged in teaching assignment.
- JGU fellowship amount will be given monthly as per JGU norms based on their monthly performance.
- A JGU Fellowship scholar is required to provide details regarding the work in progress of the research work monthly to their respective JGU School and quarterly with the Office of Doctoral Studies.
- The stipend / fellowship amount received is not liable for any kind of benefits such as gratuity, pension, PF, etc.
- The tenure for fellowship under the JGU fellowship scheme is only for three (3) years. Upon expiry of this period, the work of the scholar will be evaluated by experts/ SDC. If the research work is found satisfactory his/her tenure may be extended for a further period of six (6) months only after special approval by the Vice-Chancellor of JGU.
- A full time Ph.D. scholar at JGU can avail a sum of 20,000/- Per annum as Contingency Grant.
- A full time Ph.D. scholar at JGU shall be entitled to staff development financial support, once during his/her Ph.D. tenure up to a maximum of 75,000/- (Applicable in second & third year of Ph.D tenure).
- A full time Ph.D. scholar at JGU will be eligible to undertake/attend two (2) national conferences and one (1) international conference during his/ her Ph.D tenure. National conference expenditure is on actual basis and international conference with staff development financial support.
- Every full time Ph.D Scholar at JGU will be given a complimentary health insurance coverage up to 50,000/-.
|Full-time Ph.D. Candidate with or without fellowship
|Part-time Ph.D. Candidate
|In Service JGU Staff
|Institute amenities security deposit(refundable)
|Semester Fee (till 4th year of Ph.D. Registration)
|Semester Fee (5th year onwards of Ph.D. Registration)
|Dissertation Submission Fee
|The fees will be subject to changes as decided by the University from time to time
Note: JGBS (Jindal Global Business School), JSLL (Jindal School of Languages and Literature) and JSIA (Jindal School of International Affair) don’t accept admission in spring semester. If any candidate apply then their application will be considered for fall semester only
Campus Residency Requirement
A regular full-time research scholar shall attend classes on a regular basis till completion of the course work (one year).
A part-time/ sponsored research scholar shall spend a minimum of 7 days during a semester to seek professional guidance from his/ her Supervisor/ Co-Supervisor and/ or avail the library/ laboratory facilities.
University Doctoral Committee(UDC) has powers to allow an overseas candidate to do Residency in his/ her City provided the University has some kind of collaboration with the University/ Institute concerned.
Contact our Schools
Prof. Anand Prakash Mishra
Professor of Practice & Associate Dean, Jindal Global Law School Director of Law Admissions, OP Jindal Global University. LL.B.; LL.M. (University of Delhi); UGC-NET (Law), Fellow, International Institute of Higher Education Research & Capacity Building (IIHEd)