Prof. (Dr.) Sumeet Mhaskar is trained in Sociology and Political Science. He holds a doctorate in Sociology from the Department of Sociology and St. Antony’s College, University of Oxford. He obtained his M.A and M.Phil. degrees in Political Science from the Centre for Political Studies, Jawaharlal Nehru University. Prior to joining JSGP, he was based at the Centre for Modern Indian Studies (CeMIS), Georg-August-Universität Göttingen where held fellowships from the Alexander von Humboldt Stiftung and Max Weber Stiftung. Sumeet has also held positions at the Max Planck Institute for the Study of Religious and Ethnic Diversity in Göttingen, Center for South Asia at Stanford University, and International Centre for Development and Decent Work at Universität Kassel.
Sumeet is currently working on a book manuscript which examines Mumbai’s ex-millworkers’ responses to their job loss as a result of the closure of textile mills in Girangaon, industrial heartland of the city since the mid-19th century. In addition, he is working on a project titled “Rural-Urban Linkages in a Global City” that looks into the urban experience of rural labour migrants who enter the city through well-established and old networks. He also runs a digitization centre in Mumbai, which gathers and digitizes old and rare documents related to social and political movements in India. Sumeet has published research papers in edited books and peer-reviewed journals.
Journal Articles: Peer Reviewed
- Mhaskar, Sumeet. (2018). “Ghettoisation of Economic Choices in a Global City: A Case Study of Mumbai.” Economic and Political Weekly 53(29): 29-37.
- Mhaskar, Sumeet, and Jana Tschurenev. (2017). “Bildung Und Politische Mobilisierung Im Kolonialen Indien. Die Anti-Kasten-Bewegung in Maharashtra, 1848-1882.” Zeitschrift Für Pädagogik 63: 561-81.
- Mhaskar, Sumeet. (2019). Preface In H. Van Wersch, The 1982-83 Bombay Textile Strike and the Unmaking of a Labourers City. New Delhi: Speaking Tiger, pp. xv – xxxvi.
- Mhaskar, Sumeet. (2019). The State of Stigmatised Employment in India: Historical Injustices of Labouring. In D. Dutta (Ed.), Mind The Gap: The State of Employment in India, Oxfam India Inequality Report 2019. New Delhi: Oxfam India, pp. 180 – 199.
- Mhaskar, Sumeet. (2014). Locating Caste in a Globalising Indian City: A Study of Dalit Ex-millworkers’ Occupational Choices in Post-Industrial Mumbai. In Mobility or Marginalization? Dalits in Neo-Liberal India ed. Clarinda Still. New Delhi and Abingdon: Routledge, pp.107-132.
- Mhaskar, Sumeet. (2013). Encountering ‘Inclusion’ and Exclusion in Post-industrial Mumbai: A study of Muslim Ex-millworkers’ Occupational Choices. In Navigating Exclusion, Inclusion Engineering: Entangled Social Processes in India, ed. Uwe Skoda, Kenneth Bo Nielsen and Marianne Qvortrup Fibige. London: Anthem Press, pp.149-166. ISBN 9780857283221
Working Papers: Peer Reviewed
- Mhaskar, Sumeet. (2014). Claiming Entitlements in ‘Neo-Liberal’ India: Mumbai’s Ex-millworkers’ Political Mobilisation on the Rehabilitation Question. QEH Working Paper Series, QEHWPS200: Oxford Department of International Development, University of Oxford, pp.1-24.
- Mhaskar, Sumeet. (2013). Indian Muslims in a Global City: Socio-Political Effects on Economic Preferences in Contemporary Mumbai. MMG Working Paper 13-04: Max Planck Institute for the Study of Religious and Ethnic Diversity, Göttingen, ISSN 2192-2357, pp.1-31
- Mhaskar, Sumeet (2017) Book Review of Aseem Prakash’s Dalit Capital: State Market and Civil Society in Urban India. Journal of South Asian Development, Volume: 12 issue: 2, page(s): 206-209
- Mhaskar, Sumeet (2020) Ambedkar’s fight wasn’t just against caste. Scholars have overlooked his labour activism, The Print, 14 April 2020.
- Mhaskar, Sumeet (2020) Will the ‘new outsider’ revive nativist politics in Mumbai? The Federal, 16 February 2020.
- Mhaskar, Sumeet (2019) In Maharashtra, it is time to talk about marginalised workers, Hindustan Times, 9 October.
- Mhaskar, Sumeet (2018) Kamala Mills & Bawana Fires: When Socio-Economic Status Of Victims Dictates Scale Of Outrage And Action, Outlook Magazine, Web Edition, 21 January
- Mhaskar, Sumeet (2018) Violence Against Dalits in Maharashtra Is Not New, but Dalit Reaction to It Is Changing, The Wire, 15 January.
- Mhaskar, Sumeet (2016) The Roots of the Maratha Unrest Lie in Mumbai’s Changing Political Economy. The Wire, 5 December.
- Mhaskar, Sumeet (2016) The Slow Genocide of Dalit Minds. The Wire, 21 January 2016.
- Mhaskar, Sumeet (2015) Dalit Rajakaran ani Samakalin Pravahatun Avaidh Honyachi Bhiti. Anivikshan Traimasik: 6(2), October-December, pp.92-94 (in Marathi).
- Mhaskar, Sumeet (2014) No Right Turn, Outlook Magazine, Web Edition, 16 October 2014.
Short Entries in Edited Book
- Mhaskar Sumeet and Prabodhan Pol (2019) Bhimrao Ramji Ambedkar (India 1891-1956). In Barbara Potthast, Katharina Schembs (eds.) Student Protests in the Global South: Annotated sources (1918-2018). Cologne: Global South Studies Center (GSSC), University of Cologne.
- Mhaskar Sumeet and Prabodhan Pol (2019) Anti-Reservation Student Protests, University of Delhi (India 1990). In Barbara Potthast, Katharina Schembs (eds.) Student Protests in the Global South: Annotated sources (1918-2018). Cologne: Global South Studies Center (GSSC), University of Cologne.
- Mhaskar Sumeet and Prabodhan Pol (2019) Rohith Vemula Suicide Note (India 2016). In Barbara Potthast, Katharina Schembs (eds.) Student Protests in the Global South: Annotated sources (1918-2018). Cologne: Global South Studies Center (GSSC), University of Cologne.
Labouring in the formal and informal economy, migration, discrimination and exclusion at workplaces, urban transformation and social and political movements, Indian politics, and educational and occupational attainment.