Centre for Comparative and International TaxationOctober 11, 2023 2023-10-25 9:46
Centre for Comparative and International Taxation
Centre for Comparative and International Taxation
The Centre for Comparative and International Taxation(CCIT) aims to provide a platform for research and scholastic parleys in the areas of domestic and international taxation. The members of the Centre engage regularly in technical research and public consultations on taxation matters. The Centre strives to be a facilitator for resource creation and dissemination through engagements with practitioners, academics and jurists. We are determined to establish a forum for contribution of practitioners and academics pertaining to taxation with the intent of fortifying our commitment to Jindal Global Law School’s goal of embracing diverse international perspectives to legal studies. The Centre intends to encourage both applied and academic innovation in the international taxation law domain by instituting opportunities for pertinent presentations and publications. With the global economy continuing to transform and grow, new arenas of taxation and commerce are being explored, and existing ones are rapidly evolving. In light of these changes, there is an acute need for critical scholarship that engages with the impact of these changes on the economic interaction between the world of taxation and citizens. Among the other initiatives of CCIT, a student run blog, The Tax Terminal, is a highlight. This blog facilitates regular discourse on contemporary issues of domestic and international taxation. The blog can be accessed at https://www.taxterminal.in .Through this blog, the Centre aspires to maintain regular industry interactions to bridge the ever-existing gap between academia and practitioners.
- To promote and produce quality research in the field of domestic and international taxation.
To educate students via various undertakings – seminars, mentor programmes, collaboration with distinguished figures in the field.
- To inform the international taxation discourse and influence institutional and policy action.
- To engage with the rapid changes in the global economy and their influence on taxation policy.
- To take a holistic approach to taxation awareness that encompasses a sound theoretical base with a practical focus.
- 17th September 2021 – We are glad to announce that our policy paper titled, “Addressing Tax Challenges of Digitalization: Exploring multilateralism as the way ahead for India” was presented to Dr. Rajiv Kumar, Vice Chairman, NITI Aayog. The paper is co-authored by Ms. Gouri Puri, Partner, Shardul Amarchand Mangaldas & Co. and Mr. Kinshuk Jha, Associate Professor and Executive Director, CCIT, Jindal Global Law School.
This paper was discussed with various experts during closed room technical sessions. The discussions were held with Mr. Ameya Kunte (Founder, Globeview Advisors LLP), Dr. Bernard Schneider (Senior Lecturer in International Tax Law, Queen Mary University of London), Dr. Dhruv Janssen-Sangahvi (Co-Head International Tax & International Tax Litigation, Nishith Desai Associates), Ms. Mansi Kedia (Research Fellow, Indian Council for International Economy Relation), Mr. Meyya Nagappan (Leader, Digital Tax and Social Finance, Nishith Desai Associates), Mr. Mukesh Butani (Managing Partner, BMR Legal Advocates), Dr. Nigam Nuggehalli, (Registrar, National Law School of India University Bengaluru), Mr. Rohinton Sidhwa (Partner, Deloitte Haskins & Sells), Mr. Subhomoy Bhattacharjee (Adjunct Faculty, Jindal School of Journalism and Communication & Consulting Editor, Business Standard) and Dr. Vikram Chand (Professor of Law, Tax Policy Center, University of Lausanne).The Research Team comprises of Mr. Rahul Yadav, Principal Associate, Shardul Amarchand Mangaldas & Co., Ms. Kriti Chawla, Assistant Professor, Jindal Global Law School and Mr. Ritesh Bajaj, Assistant Lecturer, Jindal Global Law School
- 16th July 2021 – The Tax Terminal https://www.taxterminal.in/ , a student run blog, is an initiative of the Centre. This blog facilitates regular discourse on contemporary issues of domestic and international taxation.
- May 2021 – Public hearing regarding the proposed action in the section 301 investigation of India’s Digital Services Tax headed by Prof. Kinshuk Jha.”
- September 2020 – April 2021 – An empirical study of Taxpayer Rights in India in light of the Taxpayer Charter 2020, joint project with BMR Legal Advocates. Project headed by CCIT team of Prof. Kinshuk Jha and Ms. Dhwani Mainkar, assisted by JGLS students and a team of lawyers from BMR. This joint research project is about to be culminated in a soon to be published book.
- August 2020 – Student team led by Kanupriya Sharma guided the JGLS team to meritoriously placing 5th worldwide in the 5th edition of Global Tax Treaties Commentaries research project run by IBFD. This is a research project which has teams from 25 countries and JGLS represents India.
- August 2018 – JGLS team meritoriously placed 1st in the 2nd edition of Global Tax Treaties Commentaries research project run by IBFD. This is a research project in which JGLS represented India.
- The Centre regularly convenes a tax reading and discussion group, for students to engage with contemporary issues in tax law and policy.
- 19th December 2020 – Guest Lecture on ‘Is Bansal Proposal an acceptable alternate in light of the OECD Unified Approach?’, addressed by Mr. Mukesh Butani, Managing Partner, BMR Legal Advocates.
- 14th August 2020 – LLM Pre-Semester Training, Immersion & Engagement Programme, ‘Refresher on Taxation principles and emerging concepts’ and Centre Introduction by Prof. Kinshuk Jha.
- 20th June 2020 – Webinar on ‘GST ERA: An Update & The Way Forward’, addressed by Mr. Gaurav Khanna-Associate General Counsel-Nestle India.
- 20th June 2020 – Webinar on ‘Financial Planning During COVID 19 For Salaried Employees and Family-Owned Businesses’, addressed by Ms. Ananya Kapoor, Advocate and Visiting Faculty JGLS.
- 4th June 2020 – JGLS Faculty Lecture Series on ‘Jurisprudence of Taxpayer Rights in India’, addressed by Prof. Kinshuk Jha.
- 7th May 2020 – JGLS Faculty Lecture Series, ‘The Relevance of Teaching Comparative Tax Systems in Law Schools’, addressed by Professor Archie Parnell, JGLS.
- 29th January 2020 – Webinar on ‘Taxation of the Digital Economy’, addressed by Ms. Ipsita Agarwalla and Mr. Arijit Ghosh, Nishith Desai Associates.
- 26th September 2019 – Seminar on ‘Towards a More Business Friendly and Technologically Advanced Tax Regime’, addressed by Mr. Prabhat Lath, Executive Director, and Mr. Rohit Kedia, Associate Director, Corporate and International Tax Services.
- 4th September 2018- Book Talk on ‘Goods and Services Tax: Constitutional Law and Policy’, addressed by Mr. Tarun Jain, Advocate, Delhi high Court and Supreme Court.
- 27 August 2018 – Talk on ‘Tax Challenges arising from Digitalisation’, Dr. Suranjali Tandon, Assistant Professor, National Institute of Public Finance and Policy.
- 10th October 2017 – Presentation and Talk on ‘Open Budgets India Portal’, addressed by Simonti Chakraborty, Programme Officer, Centre for Budget, and Governance Accountability.
- 27th September 2017 – Seminar on ‘Contemporary Issues of Corporate Taxation’, addressed by Mr. Prabhat Lath, Director, Corporate and International Tax Services, PwC and Mr. Nitin Vaid, Partner, Corporate and International Tax Services, PwC.
- 19th September 2017- Public Lecture on ‘Taxation and Gender Discrimination: GST on Sanitary Napkins’, addressed by Mr. Amit George, Advocate, Delhi high Court and Supreme Court.
- 22nd August 2017 – Guest Lecture on ‘Panama Papers: What the Biggest Data Leak in History Revealed about Offshore Finance and its Impact’, addressed by Ms. Ms. Pooja Rangaprasad, Policy Coordinator at Financial Transparency Coalition.
- 27th March 2017 – Seminar on ‘Demystifying Myths of Goods and Services Tax’, addressed by Mr. Amit Bubna, Director (Indirect Tax), EY.
- 16th March 2017 – Seminar on ‘Budget and Constitutional Law’, addressed by Mr. M.S. Ananth, Head (Regulatory Litigation Practice), Nishith Desai Associates.
- 20th September 2016 – Seminar on ‘Transfer Pricing Legislation in India – An Overview’, addressed by Dr. M. S. Vasan, Managing Partner, MSV Legal, Attorneys.
- 8th March 2016 – Seminar on ‘Domestic and International Tax Issues: Finance Bill, 2016’, addressed by Mr. Rahul Garg, Leader, Direct Tax, PwC and Mr. Sanjay Kumar, Senior Advisor, Deloitte Haskins & Sells.
- 16th May 2015 – Conference on ‘India’s Tax Regime: Towards a New Legal and Economic Order’, addressed by Justice Surinder Singh Nijjar, Supreme Court, Prof. C Raj Kumar, Vice Chancellor, O. P. Jindal Global University, Mr. Kamlesh Varshney, Commissioner of Income tax, New Delhi and Mr. Sanjeev Sharma, Commissioner of Income Tax, New Delhi and moderated by Prof. G.K. Kwatra.
- 6th April 2015 – Public Lecture on ‘Direct Tax Reforms and New Undisclosed Foreign Income and Assets (Imposition of New Tax) Bill, 2015’, addressed by Mr. Rahul Garg, Leader, Direct Tax, PwC.
- 18th October 2014 – Public Lecture on ‘Tax and Development: A View from the United Nations’, addressed by Mr. Michael Lennard, Chief, International Tax Cooperation Section & Economic Affairs Officer Financing for Development Office, United Nations.
Write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org for any queries or collaborations.