Harsh MahasethOctober 6, 2023 2023-10-06 8:19
Assistant Professor and Assistant Dean (Academic Affairs), Jindal Global Law School, and Assistant Director, Nehginpao Kipgen Center for Southeast Asian Studies, O.P. Jindal Global University
B.A., LL.B.(Hons.) (NALSAR University of Law, India);
LLM (Asian Legal Studies) (National University of Singapore);
Harsh Mahaseth is an Assistant Professor and Assistant Dean (Academic Affairs) at Jindal Global Law School, and the Assistant Director for the Nehginpao Kipgen Center for Southeast Asian Studies, O.P. Jindal Global University. He is also a member of the University Student Discipline Committee, the Environmental Law Clinic, and a Faculty Advisor for the Client Counselling Society as well as the Jindal Society of International Law.
Harsh completed his Master of Laws (Asian Legal Studies) from the National University of Singapore and his B.A., LL.B. (Hons.) from NALSAR University of Law, India. He also has a Diploma in International Affairs and Diplomacy from the Indian Institute of Governance & Leadership. His scholarly work is focused on Asia, with a specialization in South Asia and Southeast Asia.
Harsh has published 39 international peer-reviewed academic journal articles in journals such as the Max Planck Encyclopedia of Comparative Constitutional Law, the Asian Journal of International Law, Contemporary South Asia, Asia Pacific Media Educator, International and Comparative Law Review, the Asian Journal of Legal Education, the Sri Lanka Journal of International Law, the Thailand Journal of International Law, the International Energy Law Review, the Stockholm Intellectual Property Law Review, and Economic & Political Weekly, among others.
He also has over 110 publications in various leading international newspapers, magazines, and academic blogs. These included, among others the Diplomat, the Manila Times, the Jakarta Post, Opinio Juris, Hindustan Times, Kathmandu Tribune, Cambridge International Law Journal Online, Oxford Human Rights Hub, the Statesman, the Columbia Rights View Blog, LSE South Asia blog, Groningen Journal of International Law Blog, Berkeley Journal of International Law Blog, International Policy Digest, South Asia Monitor, Malaysian Insight, Modern Diplomacy, Völkerrechtsblog, the Huffington Post, and the Kluwer Trademark Blog.
His research experience earned him the Research Excellence Award from O.P. Jindal Global University in the first year of his academic career, the Best Research Scholar Award, the Indian Law Conclave Elite List 2020 (Under 25 years Category), the Emerging Scholar Award, and the Best Law Student Award.
His research interests include Public International Law, Asian Studies and International Relations, Human Rights, Environmental Law, and Comparative Research.
- H. Mahaseth and S. Banusekar, Living in the Shadows: Rohingya Refugees in Malaysia, Asian Journal of International Law, 2022.
H. Mahaseth, Supreme Court of the Federal Democratic Republic of Nepal, Max Planck Encyclopedia of Comparative Constitutional Law, Oxford University Press.
- H. Mahaseth and S. Qureshi, The Increase of Online Journalism in Nepal, Asia Pacific Media Educator, Vol. 31 Issue 2, 2021.
- H. Mahaseth and S. Makhija, The Idée Fixe of Corporate Jobs in India: The Institutional Change in Legal Education and the Different Factors for the Shift, Asian Journal of Legal Education, Vol. 8 Issue 2, 2021.
- H. Mahaseth and A. Bansal, Asia and the ICC: The Development of International Criminal Law in a World Changing Order, International and Comparative Law Review, Vol. 21 Issue 2, 2021.
- H. Mahaseth and S. Hilali, The Role and Influence of Malaysia in ASEAN and the Regional Impact of the Organization on the Nation, Asian Journal Of International Affairs, Vol.1, Special Issues, 2021.
- H. Mahaseth and K. Subramaniam, Binding or Non-Binding: Analysing the Nature of the ASEAN Agreements. International and Comparative Law Review, 2021, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 100–123.
- Simultaneous identities: language, education and the Nepali nation by Uma Pradhan, Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 2020, x + 220 pp., $99.99 (hardback), ISBN 978-1-108779-715 [Book Review], Contemporary South Asia Vol.29 Issue 4, 2021, pp. 596-97.
- International Heritage Law for Communities: Exclusion and Re-Imagination by Lucas LIXINSKI. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2019. xx + 304 pp. Hardback: £89.00. doi: 10.1093/oso/9780198843306.001.0001 [Book Review], Asian Journal of International Law, 2021, pp. 1-2.
- H. Mahaseth and V. Agarwal, The Transgender Persons (Protection Of Rights) Act, 2019 And The Continued Protests: What Changes Are Required? Bharati Law Review, Vol. 10 Issue 2.
- H. Mahaseth and S. Makhija, Understanding State Responsibility During the Times Of A Pandemic: Covid-19 And Its Responses, IILS (Indian Institute Of Legal Studies) Law Review, Vol. 8 Issue 1.
- H. Mahaseth, et. al, The Use of Child Soldiers in Armed Conflicts in India, South Asian Law Review Journal, Vol. 8, pp. 36 – 50.
- H. Mahaseth, Case Comment: Understanding the Repugnancy in M. Karunanidhi v. Union of India, Vishwakarma University Law Journal, Vol. 1
H. Mahaseth and S. Goyal, Asghar Leghari and Environmental Justice: Transformative Climate Change Litigation Judgements One Step at a Time, Chanakya Law Review, Vol. 1 (01), Jan – June 2021, pp.124 – 129.
- H. Mahaseth, The Need for a National Tax Tribunal: Reviewing the National Tax Tribunal Act, 2015, Jus Corpus Law Journal, Vol.1 Issue 3, 446 – 459 (2021).
- H. Mahaseth and S. Pandey, Climate Emergency and the Impact of US Pull-Out from Paris Climate Agreement, GEHU’s Law Review, Vol. 1 Issue 1, 32 – 41 (2021).
H. Mahaseth, The Non-Enforcement of Singapore’s Anti-gay Law is Not a Good Compromise, Economic & Political Weekly, Engage Section, Vol. 55 Issue 13 (2020).
- M. Parikh, H. Mahaseth and D. Koirala, The Need for a New Legal Education Model for Combating Discrimination: A Comparative Analysis with a Specific Focus on India, Pen Acclaims, Vol. 8, 1 – 13 (2020).
H. Mahaseth, Plurality in Asia, Journal for Law Students & Researchers, Vol. 1 Issue 2, 1 – 4 (2020).
- H. Mahaseth, Implementation Progress and Issues with the Polluter Pays Principle, in Changing Dynamics of Indian Legal System, New Era International Imprint, 6 – 18 (2019).
- H. Mahaseth and A. Reddy, Reviewing the New York Declaration on Refugees and Migrants, Journal of Legal Methodology, Policy and Governance, Vol.1 Issue 1, 1 – 7 (2019).
- H. Mahaseth, A Breach of Condition and its Impact on the Exoneration of the Insurer, Indian Legal Solution Journal of Criminal and Constitutional Law, Vol. 1 Issue 3 (2019).
- H. Mahaseth and D. Koirala, Does the Navtej Singh Johar Case Finally Etch Equality for the LGBTQ+ Community?, The Sri Lanka Journal of International Law, Vol 26, 213 – 221 (2018).
- H. Mahaseth and P. Risal, Transitional Justice in Nepal: Still a Long Way to Go, Thailand Journal of International Law (2017-18), 77-78.
- H. Mahaseth, The Widows of Vrindavan, in Women Empowerment in India, New Era International Imprint, 215 – 225 (2018).
- H. Mahaseth, The Marrakesh Treaty and the Approach Towards Social Inclusion, The Stockholm Intellectual Property Law Review, Issue 2, 52 – 61 (2018).
- H. Mahaseth, The Cultural Impact of Manga on Society, The Asian Journal of Language, Literature and Culture Studies, Vol. 1 Issue 3, 1 – 5 (2018).
- H. Mahaseth, Nepal’s Flawed Transitional Justice Process, The Asian Law & Public Policy Review, Vol. 3, 130 – 137 (2018).
- H. Mahaseth and A. Reddy, The SAARC Framework Agreement for Energy Cooperation (Electricity) and the Further Steps Taken for the Realisation of Regional Energy Cooperation, The International Energy Law Review, Issue 1, 9 – 16 (2018).
- H. Mahaseth, The Inclusion of Educational Institutions under the term ‘Shops’? The Argument made by Gautam Bhatia for the Inclusion, The Indian Constitutional Law Review, Edition 3, 1 – 13 (2017).
- H. Mahaseth, Michel Foucault and his theory of panopticism, International Journal of Economics & Socio-legal Sciences, Vol. 1 Issue 4 (2017).
Assisted the International Commission of Jurists and the Centre for Legal Studies in releasing “Nirupan”: an international newsletter regarding the transitional justice process in Nepal. (June 2016)
- H. Mahaseth, Review: Udaan, Film Matters, Vol. 7 No.3, 77 – 78 (2016).
H. Mahaseth, The Effectiveness of Reservations in the Indian Society, Journal on Contemporary Issues of Law Vol. 2 Issue 10, 1 – 3 (2016).
- H. Mahaseth, A Legal Analysis of Merchant of Venice, The Penstand Journal, Vol. 1 Issue 2 (2016).
- H. Mahaseth, Open Defecation And Its Hindrance To A Right To Clean Environment, Lloyd Law Journal, Vol. 1 Issue 1, 65 – 70 (2015).
- H. Mahaseth, Bullying as a Tort, International Journal of Research & Analysis, Vol. 2 Issue 6, 127 – 137 (2015).
- H. Mahaseth, Education for Fostering National Integration in India in the 21st Century, Legal Bloc Journal, Vol. 1 Issue 4 (2015)
- H. Mahaseth, Space Debris and the Need for New Laws, International Review of Contemporary Legal Issues, Inaugural Issue (2015).
- Guest Faculty, Symbiosis Law School, Hyderabad, India
- Kathmandu Tribune Fellow (2021 – 2022)
- Conducted a Bluebook Citation Workshop for Symbiosis Law School, Hyderabad, India. (2020 and 2021).
- Conducted an editing workshop for the Editorial Board of NALSAR University of Law’s Indian Journal of Constitutional Law (2020).
- Conducted a Bluebook Citation Workshop for Memo Pundits.
- Expert Panelist at the First Regional Conclave on ‘The Future of Justice Education in South Asia’ held in November 2019 at the Institute of Law, Nirma University, India. Presented on the topic “The Importance of Clinical Legal Education in Nepal”.
- Presented the paper titled “Asia and the ICC: The Development of International Criminal Law in a World Changing Order” at the Asian Legal History Conference organized by the Centre for Comparative and Transnational Law Transnational Legal History Group of the CUHK LAW and the University of Law – Hue University. (2021)
- Presented the paper titled “South Asian Similar Realities: Binding Value or More Than Persuasive Value For South Asian Environmental Judgements in Other South Asian Courts” at the Twelfth Annual Colloquium on Environmental Scholarship at Vermont Law School. (2021)
- Presented the paper titled “The COVID Pandemic and the Need For a Revamped Global Public Health Law: Best Practices From Various Jurisdictions” at the 2021 ILA-ASIL Asia-Pacific Research Forum organized by The Chinese (Taiwan) Society of International Law–Chinese (Taiwan) Branch of the International Law Association and the Centre for Commercial Law in Asia of the Singapore Management University School of Law. (2021)
- Presented the paper titled “Covering the divide between national and international criminal law: a look at Nepal’s transitional justice process and the ICC” at the Conference on Penalization of international crimes in national law organized by the Institute of Justice, co-financed from the means of the Justice Fund administered by the Minister of Justice / Współfinansowano ze środków Funduszu Sprawiedliwości, którego dysponentem jest Minister Sprawiedliwości. (2021)
- Presented a paper titled “Southeast Asian Media During the COVID-19 Pandemic” at the 2021 International Southeast Asian Media Studies Virtual Conference organized by the Southeast Asian Media Studies Association (SEAMSA).
- Presented on the topic “Gender Bias: The Legal Work Culture in Nepal” at the “Directions in Legal Education 2020” Conference organized by The Chinese University of Hong Kong in 2019.
- Participated in the International Confluence of Academicians organized by the Kathmandu Dialogue Alumni Association (2020)
- Participated in the Faculty Development Program on Clinical Legal Education organized by the Indian Network of Clinical Legal Education. (2020)
- Participated in the Faculty Development Programme in International Law organized by the Tamil Nadu National Law University. I was the youngest among a group of teachers and academics. (2019)
- Participated in the Eight Winter Course on International Migration and Refugee Law organized by the Indian Society of International Law. (2019)
- Participated in the Teaching and Researching International Law in Asia (TRILA) Conference organized by the Centre for International Law, National University of Singapore. The broad purposes of the Conference were to assess the current state of teaching and research in international law in the Asia Pacific Region. The Centre brought together a group of experts to contribute to the deliberations and I was the youngest to participate.
- Panellist on the topic “The African Regional Criminal Court in Context” at the Criminal Justice Accountability in Africa – National and Regional Developments Conference organized by the Queen Mary University of London’s Criminal Justice Centre and the Centre of African Studies, SOAS, University of London.
- Presented a paper titled “The Effects of the Withdrawal of the African Union from the International Criminal Court and the Suitable Regional Mechanisms to serve as Alternatives” at the Tenth Global Studies Conference organized by Common Ground Research Network and National University of Singapore.
- Presented a paper titled “International Environmental Law: Challenges to Space Law” at the 1st KIIT National Conference on International Law, 2016 organized by School of Law, KIIT University.
- Presented a paper titled “What the Uniform Civil Code is to a Common Man” at SAMVAAD 2015 organized by Model Governance Foundation.
- Presented a paper titled “Bullying as a Tort” at the International Virtual Conference on Law & Justice organised by International Forum of Research & Analysis in December 2014.
- Presented on the topic “Drug Design” in the Seminar on Modern Trends in Chemistry which was organized by St. Xaviers College, Maitighar in September 2013.
- Presented on the topic “Hydro Power as a Sustainable Source” at the Seminar on “Renewable Energy Technology” organised by RENTECH NEPAL in August, 2013.
- Nyaya Bandhu Grant, Department of Justice, India (2022 – 2023)
- Research Excellence Award, O.P. Jindal Global University (2021)
- Certificate of Excellence, Asian Journal of Language, Literature and Culture Studies (2021)
- Best Research Scholar Award, Legal Desire Summit & Awards (2020)
- Indian Law Conclave Elite List 2020 (Under 25 years Category), Adhrit Foundation (2020)
- Best Law Student Award, Legal Desire Summit & Awards (2018)
- Emerging Scholar Award, Common Ground Research Network (2017)
- Best Coordinator Award, IARC Centre for United Nations (2017)
- CESS-UNICEF-Division for Child Studies (2017)
- As part of a project collaboration between CESS, UNICEF and the Division for Child Studies, I studied, surveyed and prepared a report on the actual scenario of the Juvenile Justice Board functioning in the State of Telangana intending to capture the challenges of the overall functioning of the Board.
CESS-UNICEF-Division for Child Studies (2018 – 2019)
- As part of a project collaboration between CESS, UNICEF and the Division for Child Studies, I studied, surveyed and prepared a report on the implementation and impact of the Protection of Children from Sexual Offenses Act, 2012 in the State of Telangana.
- Reviewer, Conflict Resolution Quarterly
- Reviewer, Journal of Territorial and Maritime Studies
- Reviewer, South Asian Journal of Environmental Law
- Reviewer, Asian Journal of Language, Literature and Culture Studies
- Senior Editor, King’s Student Law Review (2020 – 2021)
- Editor, Environmental Law and Practice Review Vol.5 (ISSN 2455-491X)
- Family Law – I
- Introduction to World’s Legal Systems
- Critical Issues in Criminal Justice
- The Police in India
- International and National Perspectives on Water Resources Law
- Environmental Humanities and Climate Emergency
- Climate Crisis and Sustainability: A Scientific and Planetary View
Visiting Faculty Courses
Bluebook Citation Style
Legal Writing and Editing