Harsh Mahaseth is a Nepalese citizen who is currently working as an Assistant Professor and Assistant Dean (Academic Affairs) at Jindal Global Law School, and the Assistant Director of the Nehginpao Kipgen Center for Southeast Asian Studies, O.P. Jindal Global University, India. He is also a Faculty Coordinator for the Client Counselling Society.
Harsh completed his Master of Laws (Asian Legal Studies) from the National University of Singapore and his B.A., LL.B. (Hons.) from NALSAR University of Law, India. He also has a Diploma in International Affairs and Diplomacy from the Indian Institute of Governance & Leadership.
Harsh has published 30 international peer-reviewed academic journal articles and over 110 publications in various leading international newspapers, magazines, and academic blogs.
His research experience earned him the Award for Research Excellence from O.P. Jindal Global University in the first year of his academic career, the Best Research Scholar Award, the Indian Law Conclave Elite List 2020 (Under 25 years Category), the Emerging Scholar Award, and the Best Law Student Award.
His scholarly work is focused on Asian Legal Studies, with a specialization in South Asian and Southeast Asian Studies.
- Conducted a Bluebook Citation Workshop for Symbiosis Law School, Hyderabad, India. (2020 and 2021).
- Conducted an editing workshop for the Editorial Board of NALSAR University of Law’s Indian Journal of Constitutional Law (2020).
- Conducted a Bluebook Citation Workshop for Memo Pundits.
- Expert Panelist at the First Regional Conclave on ‘The Future of Justice Education in South Asia’ held in November 2019 at the Institute of Law, Nirma University, India. Presented on the topic “The Importance of Clinical Legal Education in Nepal”.
- Presented the paper titled “Asia and the ICC: The Development of International Criminal Law in a World Changing Order” at the Asian Legal History Conference organized by the Centre for Comparative and Transnational Law Transnational Legal History Group of the CUHK LAW and the University of Law – Hue University. (2021)
- Presented the paper titled “South Asian Similar Realities: Binding Value or More Than Persuasive Value For South Asian Environmental Judgements in Other South Asian Courts” at the Twelfth Annual Colloquium on Environmental Scholarship at Vermont Law School. (2021)
- Presented the paper titled “The COVID Pandemic and the Need For a Revamped Global Public Health Law: Best Practices From Various Jurisdictions” at the 2021 ILA-ASIL Asia-Pacific Research Forum organized by The Chinese (Taiwan) Society of International Law–Chinese (Taiwan) Branch of the International Law Association and the Centre for Commercial Law in Asia of the Singapore Management University School of Law. (2021)
- Presented the paper titled “Covering the divide between national and international criminal law: a look at Nepal’s transitional justice process and the ICC” at the Conference on Penalization of international crimes in national law organized by the Institute of Justice, co-financed from the means of the Justice Fund administered by the Minister of Justice / Współfinansowano ze środków Funduszu Sprawiedliwości, którego dysponentem jest Minister Sprawiedliwości. (2021)
- Presented a paper titled “Southeast Asian Media During the COVID-19 Pandemic” at the 2021 International Southeast Asian Media Studies Virtual Conference organized by the Southeast Asian Media Studies Association (SEAMSA).
- Presented on the topic “Gender Bias: The Legal Work Culture in Nepal” at the “Directions in Legal Education 2020” Conference organized by The Chinese University of Hong Kong in 2019.
- Participated in the International Confluence of Academicians organized by the Kathmandu Dialogue Alumni Association (2020)
- Participated in the Faculty Development Program on Clinical Legal Education organized by the Indian Network of Clinical Legal Education. (2020)
- Participated in the Faculty Development Programme in International Law organized by the Tamil Nadu National Law University. I was the youngest among a group of teachers and academics. (2019)
- Participated in the Eight Winter Course on International Migration and Refugee Law organized by the Indian Society of International Law. (2019)
- Participated in the Teaching and Researching International Law in Asia (TRILA) Conference organized by the Centre for International Law, National University of Singapore. The broad purposes of the Conference were to assess the current state of teaching and research in international law in the Asia Pacific Region. The Centre brought together a group of experts to contribute to the deliberations and I was the youngest to participate.
- Panellist on the topic “The African Regional Criminal Court in Context” at the Criminal Justice Accountability in Africa – National and Regional Developments Conference organized by the Queen Mary University of London’s Criminal Justice Centre and the Centre of African Studies, SOAS, University of London.
- Presented a paper titled “The Effects of the Withdrawal of the African Union from the International Criminal Court and the Suitable Regional Mechanisms to serve as Alternatives” at the Tenth Global Studies Conference organized by Common Ground Research Network and National University of Singapore.
- Presented a paper titled “International Environmental Law: Challenges to Space Law” at the 1st KIIT National Conference on International Law, 2016 organized by School of Law, KIIT University.
- Presented a paper titled “What the Uniform Civil Code is to a Common Man” at SAMVAAD 2015 organized by Model Governance Foundation.
- Presented a paper titled “Bullying as a Tort” at the International Virtual Conference on Law & Justice organised by International Forum of Research & Analysis in December 2014.
- Presented on the topic “Drug Design” in the Seminar on Modern Trends in Chemistry which was organized by St. Xaviers College, Maitighar in September 2013.
- Presented on the topic “Hydro Power as a Sustainable Source” at the Seminar on “Renewable Energy Technology” organised by RENTECH NEPAL in August, 2013.
- CESS-UNICEF-Division for Child Studies (2017)
- As part of a project collaboration between CESS, UNICEF and the Division for Child Studies, I studied, surveyed and prepared a report on the actual scenario of the Juvenile Justice Board functioning in the State of Telangana intending to capture the challenges of the overall functioning of the Board.
CESS-UNICEF-Division for Child Studies (2018 – 2019)
- As part of a project collaboration between CESS, UNICEF and the Division for Child Studies, I studied, surveyed and prepared a report on the implementation and impact of the Protection of Children from Sexual Offenses Act, 2012 in the State of Telangana.
- Reviewer, Conflict Resolution Quarterly
- Reviewer, Journal of Territorial and Maritime Studies
- Reviewer, South Asian Journal of Environmental Law
- Reviewer, Asian Journal of Language, Literature and Culture Studies
- Senior Editor, King’s Student Law Review (2020 – 2021)
- Editor, Environmental Law and Practice Review Vol.5 (ISSN 2455-491X)