Prof. Dipika Jain is currently a Professor & Vice Dean and Executive Director- Centre for Health Law Ethics & Technology (C.H.L.E.T.) at Jindal Global Law School (JGLS), India. She pursued her B.A. in Political Science (Hons) from Lady Shri Ram College and LL. B from Faculty of Law, Delhi University. She received the Canadian Institute of Health Research Fellowship Award in Health Law & Policy, 2006 to pursue a Master’s Degree at Dalhousie University, Canada. She earned her LL.M from Harvard Law School. At JGLS, she is the recipient of several teaching excellence and research excellence awards since 2009.
Jain’s research is at the intersection of Law and Marginalization. She writes on Gender and Sexuality, Postcolonial Feminism, Public Health Law, Transgender Law, Minor Jurisprudence, Critical Legal Theory, Constitution and Social Movements, Reproductive Justice, Legal Education and Pedagogies and Empirical Legal Studies. Her research was recently cited by the Supreme Court in the landmark decision of Navtej Johar v. Union of India (2018). In 2018, she was designated as the first Research Professor at JGLS.
She is currently working on the second co-edited volume titled, Desire and its Discontents: Queer Politics in Neoliberal India to be published by Zubaan and Chicago University Press in Fall, 2019 and a research project on Legal Cultures, Desire and Discontent in South Asia.
She has advised the Law Commission of India on various reports on Shared Custody, Animal Welfare Law and Maintenance Laws. She has also served as an International consultant with the UNDP on Sharia Law in Afghanistan and the Centre for Reproductive Rights New York on Reproductive Justice.
She has conceptualised and conducted a fully funded certificate course on human rights for gender diverse people for transgender, intersex and gender diverse activist in India through the clinical programme on Gender, Difference and the Law at Jindal Global Law School.
As a founding faculty at JGLS, Dipika has played an instrumental role in setting up the Law School, which includes being the Head of its Academic Affairs Office and Recruitment Chair. Before joining the academia, she had worked on precedent setting public interest litigations in the Supreme Court of India including Sampurna Bahrua vs. Union of India (petitioning for the implementation of the Juvenile Justice Act, 2000 in fifteen States in the country. The Act was amended as a result of this petition.) the Right to Food and Access to Antiretroviral Drugs Case.
ACADEMIC FELLOWSHIPS/VISTING POSITIONS
- Visiting Scholar, Centre for Human Rights, Nuremberg, Germany, June, 2019
- Visiting Scholar, National University Singapore, Singapore, March-April, 2019
- Visiting Scholar, Erlangen Centre for Islam & Law in Europe, Germany, May-June, 2018
- Visiting Fellow/Faculty, Transnational Law Institute, The Dickson Poon School of Law, “Engaging Transnational Legal Practice”, UK, January, 2016-2019.
- Faculty, Transnational Law Summer Institute, King’s College London, UK, June, 2016
- Academic Visitor, Centre for Socio Legal Studies, University of Oxford, UK, May-June, 2015
- Visiting Scholar, King’s India Institute, King’s College London, United Kingdom, June-July, 2014
- Visiting Scholar, Melbourne Law School, Melbourne, Australia. Knowledge Exchange Grant, Australia-India Institute, Australia, Dec-Jan, 2014
- Visiting Scholar, Max Plank Institute for Intellectual Property and Competition Law, Munich, Germany, May-June, 2012
- Designated the First Research Associate Professor at JGLS, 2018-19.
- JGU Research Excellence Award (2012/13/14/15/16/17/18)
- Jindal Global Law School Teaching Excellence Awards, 2011, 2013, 2015.
- Appointed co-editor in chief, Jindal Global Law Review, Jindal Global Law School, 2012.
- Research Grant by the Centre for Reproductive Rights, New York on “Women’s Access to Contraception in the State of Haryana, India”, 2012.
- First Jindal Global Law School Teaching Excellence Award, 2011.
- Harvard Law School Graduate Grant, 2008
- IDRC Research Fellowship Award, Ottawa, 2008.
- First Graduate Student to be invited by the Law Hour Committee, Dalhousie University, Halifax to present on Public Interest Litigation in India,
- Canadian Institute of Health Research Fellowship Award in Health Law & Policy, 2006.
- Appointed Adjunct Faculty with Indian Society of International Law, New Delhi, 2005.
Books, Monographs and Edited Volumes
- Ed., Sircar & Jain, D., Law, Culture and Queer Politics in Neoliberal Times, Volume II, Zubaan publications/ University of Chicago Press, 2019. (Forthcoming, Winter, 2019/20).
- Ed., Sircar & Jain, D., Law, Culture and Queer Politics in Neoliberal Times, Volume I, Zubaan publications/ University of Chicago Press, March 2017.
- Ed., Jain, D. & Sircar, O., Jindal Global Law Review, JGLR 4.1 on Law, Culture and Queer Politics in Neoliberal Times, Volume I (August, 2012); JGLR 4.1 on Law, Culture and Queer Politics in Neoliberal Times, Volume II (October, 2013).
- Jain, D., Pre-Marital HIV Testing: An Argument Against, Combat Law Publications (December, 2008).
- Jain, D. & Stephens, R., Struggle for Anti-Retroviral Movement in India, Combat Law Publications (December, 2008).
- Co. Ed. Jain, D., Gonsalves, C. & Medhini, L., HIV/AIDS and the Law, Volume I & II, Combat Law Publications (April, 2007).
- Jain, D & Shah.P, Reimagining Reproductive Rights in India, Columbia Journal of Law and Gender, Winter, 2019 (Forthcoming)
- Jain, D & Brian Tronic, Abortion and Law in India: How Conflicting Legislations Create Unintended Barriers to Safe Abortion for Adolescent Girls, Indian Journal of Medical Ethics, June 2019 . (forthcoming)
- Jain, D., & Rhoten, K., The Legal Homogenization of Gender Diverse People in India: Uncovering Temporal Pluralism, Journal of Human Values, Sage (Forthcoming, 2019).
- Jain, D., Ed. Zumbansen P, Queering the Transnational: Perspective on Law and Sexuality, Oxford Handbook of Transnational Law, Oxford University Press, 2019 (Forthcoming: Winter 2019).
- Jain, D, Law-Making By and For the People? A Case for Pre-Legislative Processes in India, Statute Law Review, Oxford University Press, April 2019
- Jain, D. & Sircar, O., The Trouble with Now: Some Anti Thoughts, In. Women’s and Gender Studies in India: Crossings edited by Anu Aneja, Taylor & Francis, 2019.
- Jain, D et al., Bureaucratization of Transgender Rights: Perspective from the Ground, Socio-Legal Review, Volume14, Issue 1, 2018.
- Jain, D., Shifting Subjects of State Legibility: Gender Minorities and the Law in India, Berkeley Journal of Law, Gender and Justice, Volume 33, 2017
- Jain, D., & Rhoten, K., Sex Worker’s Rights in India: Perspective, Voices and Narratives from the Margins, Harvard Journal of Law and Gender, Volume 40, Spring 2017
- Jain, D & Tronic, Brian., Implementation of the Public Distribution System: An Empirical Analysis of the Right to Food in an Urban Slum, Journal of Food Law and Policy, Volume 12, Number 1, 2016.
- Jain, D & Rhoten, K., The Heteronormative State and The Right to Health in India, NUJS Law Review Vol. 7 (1), 2015.
- Jain D et al, The Enforcement of India’s Tobacco Control Legislation in the State of Haryana: A Case Study, World Medical & Health Policy, December, 2014.
- Jain, D & Rossario N., Between Cairo to Haryana: How Far Have Reproductive Rights Come After Twenty Years of ICPD, Whittier Law Review, (Spring 2014).
- Jain, D et al, Legally Invisible, Seminar 65 (January 2014).
- Jain, D., Gene-Patenting and Access to Healthcare In India: Achieving Precision, Houston Journal of International Law Vol. 36 (1) (Winter, 2013).
- Jain, D. & Rhoten, K., A Comparison of the Legal Rights of Gender Non-Conforming Persons in South Asia, Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. 48 (52) (December, 2013).
- Jain, D. & Darrow, J., An Exploration of Compulsory Licensing as an Effective Policy Tool, Health Matrix: Journal of Law-Medicine, Vol. 23 (2) (Sept, 2013).
- Jain, D., “Is the National Pharmaceutical Policy, 2012 Cheering The Pharma? Indian Journal of Law and Technology, Vol. 9 (1) (August, 2013).
- Jain, D. & Abeyratne, R., Domestic Violence Legislation in India: The Pitfalls of a Human Rights Approach to Gender Equality, American University Journal of Gender, Social Policy and the Law, Vol. 21 (2) (March, 2013).
- Jain, D., Impact of the Decriminalization of Homosexuality in Delhi: An Empirical Study, Arkansas Journal of Social Change and Public Service (Online, January, 2013).
- Jain, D. & Sircar, O., Editors’ Introduction: Neoliberal Modernities; Ambiguity of Its Discontent Law, Post/Anti-Colonial Disruptions of Queer Imperialism, Law, Culture and Queer Politics In Neoliberal Times, Jindal Global Law Review, Vol. 4. Issue 2/ Part II (November, 2013).
- Jain, D. & Sircar, O., Editors’ Introduction: New Intimacies/ Old Desires: Law, Culture and Queer Politics in Neoliberal Times, Jindal Global Law Review, 4.1, Vol. 4 issue 1/Part 1 (August, 2012).
- Jain, D. & Gupta, P., The Toxic Trade”: The Legal Landscape of Asbestos Regulation in India, Women and Environment International Magazine No 90/91, 25-29 (2012).
- Jain, D. Medhini, L. & Gonsalves, C., Ed. Sammadar, R., Verdict on an HIV Case, State of Justice in India-Issue of Social Justice, Vol. IV, Sage India (June 2009).
- Jain, D. Medhini L. & Gonsalves, C., Ed. Sammadar, R., Gender: HIV and Women, State of Justice in India-Issue of Social Justice, Vol. IV, Sage India (June 2009).